Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Camping Tradition: Treasure Hunt

Even though summer is winding down and there isn't much time left for camping trips, I'm going to share some of my family's favorite camping traditions over the next week or so. Mainly its my way of documenting our favorite traditions, but who knows, you might love some of these ideas you'll start doing them with your own family. I'm sure my mom and her sister started these as a way to make camping a little more fun. Now I'm not saying camping isn't fun. But with lots of little kids running around, I'm sure it was nice to have a few things planned. Here goes... (and let me tell you that these are tried and true camping traditions. We have done them for years. In fact, we did many of them on our most recent family camping trip and we are all grown up!)

Camping Treasure Hunt

On the last day of our week-long camping trip, we got to go on a treasure hunt. We looked forward to this so much! My mom and my aunt would write the clues...that is until their not-so-creative minds in that department gave room for my ever-so clever cousins to write up magnificent clues. Some years there were even themes like Pirates of the Caribbean, Pioneers, a treasure map, etc. But don't worry. You don't have to do a themed hunt to make it memorable. This year we had simple clues on simple lined paper.

They would hide about 6-7 clues around the campground in well-known places like the outhouse, canoe, campground sign, tent, fire pit, tackle box, etc. Looking back its funny because the clues were always hidden in the same places, but we would still have to figure it out from the clues.



The treasure was a giant box with a $1 gift wrapped up for each person and a little treat bag. So it wasn't anything elaborate, but we sure did love opening our treasures and enjoying them for the remainder of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails